Wednesday 22 August 2007

Recuperation

Although I'm sure it didn't improve the situation, it wasn't the 15 mile run that gave me the pain in my left shin, I've had it for about a week now. I've decided to rest it for a few days and stick with the cycling to keep up with some of my cardiovascular exercise at least.

Walking down stairs is painful, running less so, strangely, but it does seem increasingly likely that I'm getting shin splints. Rest, ice, elevation, proper shoes, softer surfaces and, most importantly, not increasing the mileage too quickly. I've been doing most of these quite well, I'd thought. The mileage increase is the one factor I can't control so well as, to run a marathon, you have to build up the mileage in time for the race.

C'est la vie. I'll pick up my training again on Thursday, or leave it until the weekend and just start it off with a gentle jog and see how it goes.

No comments: