Sunday 5 February 2012

Sub-zero training

It had been a fairly bitter ride home on the scooter the night before, so I'd been expecting a nippy start to the Saturday. Sure enough, the low morning sun exposed the deep frost which had bitten the garden and my watch's thermometer revealed that the air temperature was a refreshing -4.9℃. It was most definitely a tights day.

A few years back, I wouldn't have been seen dead in tights, or lycra of any description but, since then, I've clearly become less image conscious and more rational and a sucker for comfort. They're eminently sensible for training in this sort of weather, especially for the pre-dawn and post-dusk hours, when you don't even get the mild benefit of the winter sun. Admittedly, your body can warm itself up quite quickly, but if you're only out for 30-45 minutes and intend on training relatively intensely throughout, you've got to give your muscles a chance to make it through the session in one piece. For the longer runs, you could argue that full tights aren't necessary and, despite Saturday's temperatures, I did feel, at times, a little too warm. That said, had I been forced to stop for any period of time, in the middle of nowhere and, let's face it, when you head out for a 2.5-3 hour run, anything could happen, I would have been glad not to have been facing being stuck in just my shorts.

Other items I pulled on for warmth yesterday included a long sleeve thermal icebreaker top, an additional running t-shirt, a Buff, to wear around my neck, a pair of running shorts over my tights, thickish smartwool running socks, cotton gloves and a fleecy running hat.

I always carry a lightweight backpack with me on long runs, to carry my water, a phone, some money, gels and cereal bars. There was a stark contrast between the temperature when running into a chilly Easterly in the shade, versus being sheltered from the wind and in full sun. Having the backpack to hand, meant I could remove, or put back on, hat, gloves, buff as required to regulate my temperature, keeping them within easy reach in the elasticated side pockets.

Saturday's run was an 18 miler at MP (target marathon pace) plus 45 seconds [per mile], it took me around 2h25m. I didn't find the pace too tough, although I had taken it a bit easier during the week, due to a slight injury (banging my knee on a kitchen unit!), so my energy levels were probably slightly higher than what they would have been. Nevertheless, 18 miles is still a long way and I was suitably exhausted at the end of my uphill finish and struggled to keep up with my children who'd come to meet me at the finish and were demanding piggy back rides and tree climbing! I think it's called a warm down...

No comments: